Join LOPP-CA and other partners for an afternoon celebrating the ending of the ICE contract at Yuba County Jail! The event will take place on Sunday, March 19th, from 1-3 pm outside of Yuba County Jail. More details, including the link to RSVP, can be found on the flier below.
Category: Immigrant Justice
AIQ News: 3/8/23
Join us for the celebration of the end of the ICE contract at Yuba County Jail on Sunday, March 19th from 1-3 pm! RSVP & register for transportation at www.bit.ly/YubaClosure
Registration is open for Lutheran Lobby Day 2023! Register here: Lutheran Lobby Day 2023 Sign-up and invite your friends, congregations, family, everyone!
Committee hearings for some of the bills we are monitoring will be coming soon. Hearings of note:
SB 253 (Wiener, Gonzalez, Stern)– Climate Corporate Leadership & Data Accountability Act; hearing set for March 15
AB 1128 (Santiago)– YCTC expansion; can be heard in committee March 18
AB 1498 (Gipson)– CalEITC minimum amount; can be heard in committee March 20
SB 245 (Hurtado, Rubio)– Food4All; hearing set for March 20
- California Food Assistance Program (CFAP)– AB 311 and its counterpart SB 245 have been proposed in the legislature. If enacted, the bill would remove the age limitation on receiving CalFresh benefits, specifically if their immigration status is the sole reason for not receiving the benefits, and make any individual eligible for the program regardless of immigration status. This is a big and important ask from a hunger, anti-poverty, immigrant rights advocacy perspective this year as it would include using state General Fund dollars to expand the program. Be monitoring these bills and begin advocating for it to the Governor’s office in particular, as it’s related to the state budget.
- Lobby Day 2023 registration is live! Start spreading the word to friends, family, and colleagues about Lutheran Lobby Day 2023, taking place on Wednesday, May 17th. You can find the registration form and more information here.
it is with joy that we announce that the last U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement contract with a California county’s jail has been terminated.
The Yuba County Jail has had a more than three-decade-long contract with ICE for a detention center. On Friday, officials announced that the contract would be ending within in the next 60 days. The news comes after years of public outcry over substandard and dangerous conditions in the facility. This is an answer to prayer!
On August 3rd, farm workers launched a 24-day, 335-mile “March for the Governor’s Signature” from the UFW’s historic Delano CA 40 Acres. They’re arriving on August 26th at the State Capitol in Sacramento. Will you join us for our final steps?
Farm workers are marching to win the right to vote for a union, free from intimidation and threats. This march is to convince Gov. Gavin Newsom to sign AB 2183, the Agricultural Labor Relations Voting Choice Act (AB 2183-Stone). The bill will give more choices to farm workers so they can vote without fear. Farm workers will be able to vote in secret whenever and wherever they feel safe.
Be a part of history. On August 26, thousands of farm workers and supporters will march the last mile from Sacramento’s Southside park to the big finish at the capitol. Join us!
Farmworkers Rights March
ELCA Advocacy and LOPPCA would love to see you in Delano CA on August 3 to support AB-2183, measure to support CA farmworkers. The bill has passed both houses of the legislature and this action is to urge Gov. Newsom to sign it into law. Plans for on-site are still unfolding but we wanted to give you a chance to join the action.
If you’re interested in coming or bringing members of your congregation please email Regina Banks at Regina.firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact Governor Newsom and ask him to sign the revised state budget! This budget includes funding for many of the bills we have been working on.
1. Please send out this announcement to your congregation encouraging everyone to register for Lutheran Lobby Day on Wednesday, May 18th:
Lutheran Lobby Day is Wednesday, May 18th: Advocate with us on Lutheran Lobby Day, Wednesday, May 18th as we respond to our baptismal calling as Lutherans to strive for justice and peace in all the earth. We are grounded in Lutheran theology, and all are welcome regardless of faith or lobbying experience. We will gather virtually on Zoom to pray, learn, and meet with California’s legislators. Go to https://lutheranpublicpolicyca.org/lobby-day-2022 to register.
2. Also: it is not too late to register for Ecumenical Advocacy Days, April 25th-27th. EAD 2022 is a virtual gathering to be held April 25-27, 2022. Register today! https://advocacydays.org/. Scholarships are available at https://blogs.elca.org/advocacy/ecumenical-advocacy-days-with-scholarships/
3. Immigrant Day of Action April 26th: Are you ready to build an equitable California where everyone—our family, friends, colleagues and neighbors can thrive? Join us Tuesday, April 26, 2022, as we gather our collective power virtually for Immigrant Day of Action! to register go to: https://caimmigrant.org/event/immigrant-day-2022/
Budget Advocacy; Please write a “thank you“ one of the links below. Mention you are from Lutheran Office of Public Policy.
Immigration/ Migration https://abic.us/events/the-path-forward-briefing-with-sen-bob-menendez-on-immigration-via-budget-reconciliation/?emci=9ccd605d-afef-eb11-a7ad-501ac57b8fa7&emdi=7eb4aa51-b1ef-eb11-a7ad-501ac57b8fa7&ceid=5839587
Also encourage your pastor to sign on to the letter linked below,
“Garment Workers Sign On Letter” https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pmbiSC0J8085TBp2VSS2qBtuyB1LshdDJD-ItgXcIto/edit?usp=sharing
Green Burial : Information on proposed legislation.