These are 3 bills LOPP-CA may be supporting during this legislative session.
- SB 854 (Skinner), the HOPE for Children Act.
This bill would establish California’s first baby bond program for children who lost a parent or caregiver to COVID-19 and eligible foster youth. The bill also lays the groundwork so one day California can expand the program to all children living in low-income circumstances. I’ve attached the support letter template for more details.
- AB 2180 (Wicks), The Children of Incarcerated Parents and Caregivers Taskforce
This bill would establish the Taskforce for Children with incarcerated parents and caregivers as California lacks a statewide entity that focuses on identifying and addressing the needs of system-impacted children. Asm. Wicks will be including this bill in her working class families package of bills as an emphasis to the disproportionate impact mass incarceration has on working class families, especially women, and the destabilization that leads to.
- AB 2589 (Santiago) This bill will would
- Provide a 1-time payment of $2000 per child dependent to California residents who made less than $30,000 in 2021 and file their taxes.
- Increase the California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC) minimum tax credit to about $255 per eligible tax filer.
- Together, AB 2589 would benefit approximately 5 million Californians, including 2 million children.